Sunday, October 30, 2011

Visiting Piku...

 Today we walked down to Nui kamp to visit Piku and her family. Piku works in the kitchen, doing the laundry each day. This is her husband, Joe and her son, Philip.
 Philip isn't actually Piku's child. But since Joe and Piku only had girls, five of them, they asked Piku's sister to give them their boy. This is a normal practice in this culture. This way, when Joe and Piku are older their son, Philip, will take care of them. All of their girls will get married and go away from home, but the sons are expected to take care of their parents when they are older. So, Philip just arrived in Piku's family a few months ago and hasn't seen too many white people, hence the strange look! :)
 Piku picked a cabbage from her garden to give to us.
And then showed me all around their garden...this is a garden of rice.
 This is more rice that will be ready soon.

 Piku also gave us some green onions.
 And fresh tomatoes!
 And potatoes!
 I think the sun was a bit too bright for me in this picture. :) Piku named her daughter after me so I enjoy giving "little Beth" banana cakes for her birthday so Piku wanted to give me something too... lots of food. :)
On our walk home we noticed the rain coming across the valley. We made it back before the rain! :)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Enjoying life where God has me... currently in Papua New Guinea cooking and loving life with my husband, Jacob, my son, Jonathan and my daughter, Naomi.

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia
Amazing view from our back porch!