Thursday, May 19, 2011

Supply buying in Lae...

 PNG's version of Costco...very different to say the least! We were so thankful to be able to have a contact at this wholesale place! We were able to walk through the warehouses with one of the managers to find some of the food that we needed. But American type food and bulk food are hard to find here in Papua New Guinea! It is much cheaper for me to order a Food container from the states with large cans of corn, tomato products, ketchup, etc then purchasing the same products here in country! Unfortunately our food container, due to arrive in May has been postponed until August, right after our Interface teams leave.
 I was so excited to find sugar!! Enough for both Interface programs! Ramu sugar company has had some fires and lost a lot of their crop. And this is the only company that sells sugar in PNG! So our sugar prices have been going up and up! But I found 160 kgs of sugar at the normal price of K5.00 per KG and I was excited!!
Our first day in Lae was spent touring all the grocery stores and the one wholesale store. Then the second day was spent at all the hardware stores buying all the much needed supplies for the workshop... screen, pipes, tape measures, chain saw parts, etc!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Enjoying life where God has me... currently in Papua New Guinea cooking and loving life with my husband, Jacob, my son, Jonathan and my daughter, Naomi.

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia
Amazing view from our back porch!