Friday, September 17, 2010

Rainy season is here and the Muna beatles are flying...

When the rain starts coming the beatles wiggle their way out of the ground. There are hundreds of them flying around at dusk each night. All the national kids love to come to our campus with their bottles and catch as many of them as they can. Then they go home, cook them and eat them. It gives them a bit more protein in their diets. And of course every year I have to make sure that all the interns get a chance to try them too!
First they have to cut off the head and the legs.
Then we fry them up with a little oil and sprinkle a bit of salt on them. Till and Ethan are trying to decide if they look good enough to eat or not. :)
Jacob tried his first muna beatle! And he said it wasn't too bad. It tastes a bit like nuts. :)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Enjoying life where God has me... currently in Papua New Guinea cooking and loving life with my husband, Jacob, my son, Jonathan and my daughter, Naomi.

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia
Amazing view from our back porch!